Source: My New Roots
½ cup / 90g buckwheat
½ cup / 70g slivered almonds (or sunflower seeds)
1/3 cup / 45g almond meal
2 ½ Tbsp. coconut oil
2 ½ Tbsp. pure maple syrup
a couple pinches sea salt
zest of 1 organic orange, optional
Vanilla Cashew Coating:
1/3 cup / 85ml cashew butter
¼ cup / 60ml coconut oil
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
seeds from 1 vanilla bean
pinch sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with baking paper.
2. In adry skillet over medium heat, toast buckwheat until golden, about 3 minutes.Transfer buckwheat to a mixing bowl to cool. In the same skillet toast theslivered almonds until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer them to the bowl ofbuckwheat to cool, add the almond meal and stir to combine.
3. In thesame skillet (no need to wash) over low heat, melt the coconut oil and add theorange zest, if using. Turn off the heat and whisk in the maple syrup and salt.Pour the liquid over the buckwheat and almond mixture and fold to combine. Donot wash the skillet.
4. Usinga tablespoon measure, scoop out the florentine cookie mixture and set each oneon the lined baking sheet with plenty of space in between (I baked these in 2batches of six). Using the back of the spoon, flatten the cookies out a little.Place in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes until the edges are golden andbubbly. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Transfer to acooling rack and repeat with remaining mixture.
5. Whilethe florentines are baking, make the cashew coating. Melt the coconut oil inthe same skillet over low heat, then add the cashew butter and stir well tocombine. Once melted, add the vanilla bean and maple syrup. Stir well and turnoff the heat.
6. Oncethe florentines have cooled, make sure that the cashew coating is still liquid.Spoon a couple teaspoons on the bottom of each cookie and spread it as evenlyas possible. Place on a lined baking sheet, coating side up in the fridge orfreezer to set. Once firm, repeat with remaining coating, except this timeplace the coating side down on the lined baking sheet. Place in the fridge orfreezer to set, then enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer in atightly sealed container for up to two weeks.