Makes 40 cookies
2 cups / 220g almond flour (not almond meal)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground cardamom
¼ tsp. ground star anise
½ tsp. flaky sea salt, plus more for garnish
pinch black pepper, optional
¾ cup / 175ml white tahini
½ cup / 125ml pure maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
zest of 1 orange (preferably organic)
2 Tbsp. crushed cacao nibs to garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 170°C. Lightly grease or line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, black pepper and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk tahini, maple syrup, vanilla, and orange zest together in a small bowl. If it is too thick, warm it in a small saucepan over medium heat until runny. Pour over dry ingredients and stir well to combine. The dough will be thick, and you may need to use your hands to finish mixing.
- Roll about a tablespoon and a half worth of the dough in the palm of your hands, into a ball. Flatten slightly, then place on the prepared tray, sprinkle with cacao nibs and a pinch of flaky salt. Lightly press the toppings into the dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the bottom is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Store in air tight containers at room temperature for up to a week.